Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

'New Girl' Reviewed

Today while I was aimlessly scrolling around OnDemand, I saw a listing entitled 'New Girl'. I was completely confused, since the premiere of Zooey Deschanel's new show isn't until September 20th (at 9 pm on FOX). But the pilot episode was right there, so of course I decided to watch it immediately.

I'm not going to give any spoilers, but I do have some thoughts on the show.

                                      1. The beginning is super annoying. But not so annoying you want to switch off your TV right away. So, I guess that's good.

2. The middle (which I suppose counts as 15 minutes into the episode, since it's only 30 minutes long) has a few laughs. But parts of it are still annoying.

3. The last five minutes are probably the best part. Finally Zooey's character (Jess) comes across as likeable. Before I just found her obnoxious.

Now, I do have to admit that if I have to choose which one of the Deschanel sisters I like better, I would pick Emily. I'm a fan of her subtler, less quirky acting style. I've also seen them both in interviews, and let me put it this way: if you find Zooey funny in interviews you'll probably laugh a lot during the show. While I realize that she is acting, a great deal of her character seems to be based on an intensified version of her personality.

The best parts of the show were the three guys (Jess' roommates). Their comedic timing was good, and they actually seemed to function well as a unit, which is important in the scheme of the show.  Several times their acting outshone Deschanel's.

Will I be watching when epsiode 2 comes out?  
Yes. I think this show deserves some time to grow.
Will I be watching the premiere episode on Sept. 20th?
No. I just saw it. No way am I watching that again. Plus, if you watch it OnDemand there are no commercials!

Now that I think about it, I really don't understand why FOX would choose to make it available so early. It will completely skew the accuracy of the number of viewers on premiere night. Maybe they're allowed to add in all the people who watched it OnDemand? Somehow that seems like cheating. Hmm...things to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment