Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

'Fringe'

I've never watched 'Fringe'. Call it lack of time, or lack of interest, but I had plenty of other shows that ruled supreme. That being said, I'd watch it now.

'Fringe' is entering what is may well be its last season, and viewership is down. Way down. According to Entertainment Weekly the show has dropped 21% since January.

Now that a lot of my favorite "darker" shows are not available ('Bones' for one), while I realize that 'Fringe' would not be a true substitute, I'm willing to watch it to balance out all of those comedies.

But I can only watch it if I've seen the first three seasons, that much is clear from the complex plot. Unfortunately, there's no where to do that (legally) online.

If FOX wants to boost ratings for this season, and potentially save the show, they should release the first three seasons. Hulu would be an excellent way to do this, although FOX does already take advantage of TheWB.com as well (which currently has 12 episodes of 'Fringe' uploaded).

I understand that this move might hurt DVD sales, but ultimately, if FOX can increase their total number of viewers than in the long-term DVD sales should increase too.

A limited release of the first three seasons would be a way to increase viewership, and ultimately increase profit. They better do it soon, otherwise no one will have time to get close to catching up during the current season.

1 comment: