Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

'Hart of Dixie' is a little familiar...in more ways than one

I'm only two minutes into 'Hart of Dixie' and I'm already annoyed. The time-line that they've set up for the main character's medical career is even more ridiculous than I thought it would be.

I'm also frustrated by the overdone flashback voiceover and the non-diegetic country music.

Now that I've complained a little bit I'm willing to admit that I may watch this show. If I have nothing better going on.

I love medical shows, and ones that involve big city doctors in small towns are usually amusing.

However, the plot of 'Hart of Dixie' is shockingly similar to the plot of the British television hit, 'Doc Martin'.

Martin is a surgeon from the big city who gets transplanted to a small town due to issues in his personal life. He's not very good with his patients or people in general. But he's really good with medicine.

Sound familiar?


'Doc Martin' is available on Netflix Instant view. 'Hart of Dixie' is on The CW Mondays at 9 pm.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I noticed this too. I loved the humor in Doc Martin and HoD is lacking in it... but it's cute so i'll watch it till i get tired of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart of Dixie IS supposed to be the US version of Doc Martin. Only in typical American fashion the US version stinks and has no plot or character development relying on romance to carry the show. American TV is such a bore. They should have left well enough alone. British TV is hands down better and HOD just butchers Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the first episode of both is the same. The crashed car, the old couple in town having marital problems because of his diagnosis, there's even a town festival where they both make fools of themselves.

    ReplyDelete