Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Growing Up

When people ask me where my t.v. obsession came from I have an immediate response. My parents.

No, they didn't watch a lot of it. They did the exact opposite. We didn't have cable. What we did have were three stations, and we only got the third one (Fox) when we crouched at the side of the television while waving one hand. In other words, we had two stations (NBC and PBS). Oh, and did I mention that I lived between two mountains? So those two channels had perpetual snow.

Consequently, I'm missing huge childhood t.v. milestones (Who the hell is Screech and why should I care?). But I do remember a few favorites:

1. "Arthur"--I recently sat through an episode of this because it's available on Netflix Instant and I was curious if my admiration as a child was well founded. I think it actually might have been! At least, I managed to sit through the episode without being completely bored.

2. "Zoom"--I can tell you without even trying to watch this that it would now make me cringe. But one thing hasn't changed, I still wish I'd had a chance to be a kid on 'Zoom'!

3. "Wishbone"--Classic stories told by a dog? Classic.

4. "Ally McBeal"--I was recently watching the first season when it all seemed a little too familiar. I asked my parents and my father watched this in the '90s. Apparently with me in the room. Not really a kids' show, but still a definite part of my childhood memories...

Do you have any t.v. shows from your childhood that are still memorable? If they aired on PBS I might actually know what they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment