Season seven of 'Dexter' was brilliant.
It may have seemed less brilliant if it weren't for the massive failures of seasons four through six, but regardless, it was a strong season.
When I first watched the seventh season I had only watched seasons one through three and part of season four. I got so frustrated after Jimmy Smits that I had to give up on the show.
But then I heard wonderful things about the seventh season and I caved. I watched it. Without watching any of the seasons inbetween.
And believe it or not that worked just fine.
Most of the back-story referenced this season took place during the first three seasons, and the major plotpoints (i.e. Rita's death) I had already learned about through watercooler conversations.
Although it wouldn't be quite as fun I think it would be relatively easy to watch season seven as a newbie without having seen any of the prior seasons. All you'd need would be minimal knowledge:
- Dexter is a serial killer who kills guilty people when the justice system fails to put them behind bars.
|Dexter played by Michael C. Hall|
- When Dexter was a child his mother was a CI for a police officer named Harry. Dexter's mother was murdered in front of him. Harry rescued Dexter from a pool of blood and decided to raise him. When it became apparent that Dexter had psychopathic tendencies Harry taught him a "code" (see above).
- His sister is really his foster sister, her name's Deb, and she's the lieutenant of homicide.
|Deb played by Jennifer Carpenter|
- Dexter works at homicide as a blood spatter analyst.
- In Season 1 Deb was almost killed by Dexter's biological brother. He was known as the "Ice Truck Killer". He wrapped his victims in plastic mimicking Dexter's own preparations. Dexter saved Debra.
- Dexter's wife (Rita) was killed a few years ago. They had one son, who Dexter has custody of, though the toddler (Harrison) is mainly raised by a nanny. Rita had two children (Cody and Astor) who now live with their grandparents.
- Last season Deb realized that she might have romantic feelings for her "brother" (who's really no relation) but was disgusted by the thought.
- In Season 2 Dexter was almost caught by a black cop named Doakes. He died trying to prove Dexter's guilt. Dexter framed him as the "Bay Harbor Butcher"...though Dexter was really the butcher.
|Doakes played by Erik King|
- Doakes had a romantic relationship with LaGuerta, who is the captain of homicide.
|LaGuerta played by Lauren Velez|
Watch the 7th season of 'Dexter' to find out what happens next!
'Dexter' will be back on Showtime for an eighth and (probably) final season in June.