Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

'Bones' vs. 'Castle': What is Better?

Before this year I was a major 'Bones' fan. I completely adored the show. Even with my intense hatred of Hannah I kept watching. I trusted the writers, and I trusted Hart Hanson, and I figured that they must have some kind of end goal in sight. Now I'm losing confidence in them. 

Personally I think the quality of the episodes have been weak so far. Why?
  • slightly boring cases
  • no major villain introduced
  • limited quality Bones/Booth interaction (all they seem to do is argue!)
  • loss in dynamic between main characters (not because they're together in a relationship, but because they're not together enough on screen--hopefully this will improve when she's back in the field)
  • forcing us to invest in Cam last season, while giving her no interaction with her new Doctor boyfriend or Michelle at all this season
  • weird scenes with Hodgins/Angela and their baby without enough input from other cast members, making it seem like they're in their own mini-show
Before this year I hadn't seen a single episode of 'Castle'. I barely knew it existed. But this year a friend of mine told me to watch it, and I was hooked. I loved it as much as I loved 'Bones'. Plus, while 'Bones' is very weak this season, 'Castle' is only growing stronger.

How is 'Castle' particularly strong?
  •  interesting underlying storylines (what will happen when Beckett realizes that Castle is trying to stop her from investigating her mother's case? And that he hid a potential lead--the phone call from the man threatening them--from her?)
  • cases with twists (the creepy old woman locked in the cage is actually a villain!)
  • good interactions between Castle and Beckett, with alone time on screen that includes banter and normal conversation
  • quality storylines for the supporting characters that don't separate too much from the main plot (Esposito and Lanie, Ryan and his impending marriage, Alexis and college)
What do you think? Do you watch both shows? Do you think one is stronger than the other?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I loved 'Bones', it was very nice, but when I knew 'Castle'...oh, I loved and I watched it all the time. I think that 'Castle' is much better than 'Bones'. The 7 season of 'Bones' is bored and the 4 season of 'Castle' was simply W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! I can't wait for the 5 season of 'Castle'! Come soon September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bones for the secondary characters like Hodgela and the squinterns (except Daisy, my god Sweets, you are a psychologist, why do you love her) but I love Castle for the humour and the romance. I'm wasnt even into the B&B relationship until they got together. I didn't really feel the way I do about Castle and Beckett. Although some Castle episodes are cliche and I can see things coming from a mile away, there is always that little twist in who the murderer is. On the other side, Bones can be more interesting, more forensic and the cases are rooted in reality, although this can be it's downfall. I just think that Castle is more captivating but I will watch Bones for the cases and secondary characters.

    ReplyDelete