Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

"Love Bites": But will this new show bite the dust?


"Love Bites"
get it?

I just watched the series' premiere of "Love Bites" on Hulu. That fact alone is a little concerning. I do watch quite a bit of television live, but I somehow never saw a preview for "Love Bites". Advertising plays a large role (second only to a good time slot) in helping a new show get off the ground. Networks need to realize that "30 Rock" is an exception not a rule ("It's on at 8:30!...9!...or 10!?"). We've seen brilliant shows fail time and time again due to poor time slots and poor advertising ("Arrested Development"? "Better Off Ted"?). Unfortunately, I don't think that "Love Bites" is a brilliant show. It really is going to need quite a lot of help from the network to remain become successful.

"Love Bites" is a show that is broken up (a la Frasier) with titles spliced between different yet interconnected stories. Its title is a joke..."Love Bites" because sometimes it sucks! "Love also Bites" because it's lot of little stories (or bites if you will) about love! Get it? Yeah...but I'm not really sure that's all that clever.

Regardless. The show could prove interesting. The characters that I like the best are the guy who got fired (Dan?) and his fiancee (Colleen?). I'm a tad concerned that I watched a full 45 minutes and don't know what any of the characters are called. This is evidently a major issue with the 'lots of interconnected stories' (aka anthology series) arrangement.

I was most interested in the Jennifer Love Hewitt plays Jennifer Love Hewitt scene, and how Judd (that one is definitely right!) interacted. Unfortunately I think that was just a guest appearance, and I really doubt she's coming back. If she was, I'd be way more likely to watch.

Speaking of watching, I just noticed episode 2 is on Hulu! I'm going to give it a try...maybe this show will prove worth watching after all.

1 comment:

  1. So far Love Bites hasn’t been the strongest show I’ve seen but I do see a good deal of potential, and it’s intriguing enough so far to keep me watching. So hopefully it’s able to realize that potential. Although, to be honest, now that I’ve switched from Comcast to DISH Network (and paying so much less), I wonder how that’s effected my view of the shows I’m on the fence about. Before I felt ripped off if I show didn’t live up to what I was paying every month to watch TV. Now that I’m working for DISH I also see all the work that goes on behind the scenes to make the customer service great too. If you’re trying to figure out what provider might be best for you I found this site www.BestTVForMe.com that details the pro’s and con’s of each company. It’s definitely worth a look.

    ReplyDelete