Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

bubbles shows that might just go

"Bubble Shows"
a phrase indicating that a show may or may not be canceled. generally referring to a show that is "on the fence" because a network has not yet agreed to renew it, and its ratings are dismal enough that they might choose to abandon it instead.

Obviously lots of people are writing about Bubble Shows right now. After all, it's almost the end of the season, and soon networks are going to be deciding which shows they are kicking off the air forever until some other network comes along and picks them up, à la "Damages", FX, and DirectTV.

There are a lot of shows that may never appear on your television set again after the end of this season: "Brothers & Sisters", "Detroit 1-8-7", "Off the Map", "No Ordinary Family", "V" I consider this canceled, "Chuck", "Perfect Couples", "Outsourced", "Lie to Me", "Nikita", "Body of Proof", "The Chicago Code", "Mr. Sunshine", and "Parenthood".

Of these shows I think that 2 (or possibly 4) should be saved, and here's why:

1. "Brothers & Sisters": yes, it is the most soap opera-ish, melodramatic show to air on television since "Desperate Housewives" (and yes, I know that's still on, but no one really watches it anymore. I mean, name one person...) but we need a little ridiculous drama in our lives. I have to admit that "Parenthood" is starting to veer into the territory of "Brothers & Sisters", but even "Parenthood's" new melodrama (family doesn't like the ex-alcoholic boyfriend, daughter might be pregnant, wife is really pregnant, son has aspergers, dad loses job, other child doesn't get into college, other daughter gets into DUI-induced accident, mother presents award winning play, family decides to adopt) can't replace the truly enjoyable insanity that makes up the Walker family. Then again, Calista Flockhart seems ready to leave (she has barely appeared in any episodes this season), and I'm not completely sure the show can function without her. Still, I want "Brothers & Sisters" to stay on the air...at least for one more season!

2. "Parenthood": I'm not quite ready to let this replace "Brothers & Sisters", and Lauren Graham has started to grate on my nerves, but need I remind you: family doesn't like the ex-alcoholic boyfriend, daughter might be pregnant, wife is really pregnant, son has aspergers, dad loses job, other child doesn't get into college, other daughter gets into DUI-induced accident, mother presents award winning play, family decides to adopt. They clearly need one more season just to wrap up those loose ends.

3. "Outsourced": I agree that this show dealt with a lot of racist undertones early on but I think hope those can be fixed. And I'd be sad to see Pippa Black go. Plus it can be really funny. You know, when it's not being racist. So...keep the series/hire some additional writers?

4. "Body of Proof": I actually think very little of this show, as evidenced by my earlier posts.
Still, I like to use it as background television when I'm doing other more important things (like checking email). And other people seem to like it. So it could get another chance. Or not. Honestly, I don't care much either way.

And what about those other shows? I can sum my feelings about those shows up very quickly:

1. "Detroit 1-8-7": Never heard about it, except when I read a line in EW that said it was "good". Never seen it. Don't even know what channel it's on.

2. "Off the Map": Watched 1.25 episodes. Shrugged. Switched the channel. If it was a little more "ER", and a little less least-appealing-parts-of-"Grey's" I might be more interested.

3. "No Ordinary Family": Superheroes or something? Not really my thing. Seems kind of corny. Maybe someone is watching it?

4. "Chuck": My mom likes this show. I have impartial feelings about it.

5. "Perfect Couples": Bad.

6. "Lie to Me": Wait. This is decent! Except I don't know what time it's on. I think it's on Fox? Maybe bump this up to things that should be saved. If their marketing improves.

7. "Nikita": Spies? Huh. Never seen it.

8. "The Chicago Code": I like crime shows & I like Jennifer Beals. But I already watch "Law and Order: SVU" and "Bones". I'm sure they're not at all like this show, but there's only so much crime I can take in a week.

9. "Mr. Sunshine": Allison Janey! Otherwise, I don't really care. Sorry, Matthew Perry.

What do you think? Am I totally wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment