Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I admit it, I'm watching 'Hart of Dixie'

If you're read my blog for a while, you know that I went on a bit of rant about 'Hart of Dixie'. A lot of things about the show annoyed me to no end. And yet, after all of that complaining, I've watched every episode this season. I don't really care about watching it live (it's not that good), but I'll put it on in the background when I'm doing other things.

The more you watch it, the more interesting the characters become. I'm not enjoying it more because the writing has improved, in fact it's pretty standard fare, but the characters are likable people, with surprisingly realistic problems.

Zoe, the main character, is trying to find her place in a new town, get people to like her despite her cultural differences, and deal with estrangement from her father. Wade is dealing with a crush on Zoe, which he fears she will never reciprocate, and an alcoholic father. Lemon is thrilled about her engagement to George, but worried about how he'll react when he finds out about her past relationship with the Mayor, Lavon. Oh, and Zoe wishes that she could date George. And Lavon wishes that he could date Lemon. In a perfect world this would all work out, but the nice thing about 'Hart of Dixie' is that the world is never too perfect.

Unfortunately, many viewers seem to agree with my original assessment. The show has repeatedly had low ratings. On February 20th the show ranked 0.6 among viewers 18-49, with a total of 1.57 viewers and February 27th it was slightly lower at 0.5 among viewers 18-49, with a total of 1.41 viewers.

If (when?) the show gets cancelled at the end of this season, I sincerely hope that the writers will wrap up some of the many storylines.

(L-R) George, Lemon, Zoe, Wade, and Lavon.

2 comments:

  1. Can someone tell me what Lemon's job is??? Stay at home fiance???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! I've always assumed that since she comes from money she doesn't work at all, but instead does volunteer 'work' with the Belles. So yes, basically a stay at home fiance!

      Delete