Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Happy Birthday, Tina Fey! ("Bossypants" reviewed)


Oh? You're a Tina Fey aficionado? You're scoffing at this blog post because her birthday was several days ago?

Well, you are right. Tina Fey was born on May 18th (I just googled 'tina fey birthday' so I know that's correct). But since Ms. Fey and I aren't close personal friends, I doubt a day or five will matter. Plus, I'm about to sing her praises, so I think she'll forgive me...

Several days ago (right around Ms. Fey's actual birthday!) I finished reading her book, 'Bossypants'.

I've been thinking about it ever since, so even though this blog is normally solely devoted to television, I'm stretching that a little bit to include a book about television (sort of) by someone who works in television (definitely).

No, I'm not going to get into that whole debate about whether or not the book is a "memoir". Because, quite honestly, I have no idea what even qualifies as a memoir anymore. And I'm not sure the reviewers from the LA Times, NY Times, or EW are any better informed than I am. So, that's a moot point.

Instead, I'm going to tell you that Tina Fey's book is full of hilarious personal anecdotes. For instance, she tells you about the day where she simultaneously shot a scene of '30 Rock' with Oprah and appeared as Sarah Palin on SNL for the first time. This appears on page 206 of her book (see, Smith professors, I'm citing even in my blog! You must be so proud). Ms. Feys mentions how she filmed scenes with Oprah, and during scene changes watched Sarah Palin on YouTube. Apparently Oprah was very concerned. As Tina Fey writes, "When Oprah Winfrey is suggesting you may have extended yourself, you need to examine your f***ing life" (p. 207). That's possibly true, for most people, but Ms. Fey seems to be one of the few genuinely successful multitaskers. Who's also funny!

Her intelligent use of sarcasm also shines through, particularly when she is responding to nasty things that have been written about her on the internet in her chapter entitled 'Dear Internet'.
In one section of this chapter Ms. Fey responds to a comment posted on PerezHilton.com where the commenter states that "Tina Fey completely ruined SNL. The only reason she's celebrated is because she's a woman and an outspoken liberal. She has not a single funny bone in her body" (p. 165). You'll probably enjoy the book if you find her response at all humorous:
""Huzzah for the Truth Teller! Women in this country have been over-celebrated for too long. Just last night there was a story on my local news about a "missing girl," and they must have dedicated seven or eight minutes to "where she was last seen" and "how she might have been abducted by a close family friend," and I thought, "What is this, the New for Chicks?"" (p. 165).
If you don't think that's funny you probably won't enjoy the book. Because honestly it is a lot of sarcastic, unapologetic humor. But I think it's worth reading, if only because I recognize nuggets of truth in it.

For instance, Ms. Fey certainly describes the average University of Virginia student aptly, and makes light of the troubles she had fitting in: "...what nineteen-year-old Virginia boy doesn't want a wide-hipped, sarcastic Greek girl with short hair that's permed on top? What's that you say? None of them want that? You are correct." (p. 58). And I won't tell you why I thought that her description of UVA students was so accurate except to tell you that I grew up surrounded by them (I hasten to add that I adore many Wahoos and love my hometown).

All I'm trying to say is that Tina Fey's book is full of short snippets of her life, and it's funny almost the entire way through. Plus, it includes lots of photos, lists, and scripts...and even a bar graph and a poem. Oh, and if I've persuaded you to read it you should probably do so in old-fashioned book form, because I've heard those images don't really show up on a Kindle.

There. This review has actually given you a piece of advice that's truly useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment