Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

'Castle' vs. 'Bones'

I'm newly, completely and utterly obsessed with 'Castle'. I honestly don't know how I could have been missing such a wonderful show.

In the last two weeks I've managed to watch up to the current episode (for those of you who'd like to judge me, that's about 60 episodes). I'm basically smitten with the show. I love the main characters and I love the supporting characters. And the writing, and the directing, and the camerawork. Hell, I even love the grip.

Now that Booth and Bones have done a relationship cop out with the whole pregnancy thing I'm even more attracted to 'Castle'. Not only do Richard Castle and Kate Beckett have great chemistry but I also think that the writers have done a better job of creating a realistic relationship. Of course, in many ways 'Bones' and 'Castle' follow a similar formula--they both have a law enforcement officer ('Bones' has Booth, who is an FBI agent, and 'Castle' has Beckett who is a NYC Police Officer), they both have a character who is slightly more serious ('Bones' has Brennan while 'Castle' has Beckett), and a character who is quirky ('Bones' has Booth, 'Castle' has Castle). And lets not forget the fact that both the shows are named after one of their main characters. Oh, and they both are procedural crime shows with some comedy thrown in.

Despite that, the character development in 'Castle' is stronger. The slow and steady way that we have been introduced to more and more facets of Beckett's personality has helped us to grow to understand her in the same gradual way that Castle has grown to understand her. In 'Bones' we know that Brennan has had a difficult past, but it was introduced unevenly and unrealistically (a particular scene that comes to mind is the one where Brennan mentions that she was once locked in the trunk of a car for two days by her foster family, suddenly suggesting that her problems stem not only from abandonment by her birth family, but also childhood abuse. Abuse that was never mentioned again.).

My only hope is that Castle and Beckett get together soon, because if they continue this back and forth too much longer it will build up far too much hype. I honestly don't want them to have to deal with the same problem that 'Bones' dealt with--six seasons of sexual tension was easily three seasons too many.

It seems clear that with the secrets Castle is now hiding from Beckett if they do get together their relationship might implode. Maybe the show will create a Ross and Rachel relationship, replicating the drama of 'we were on a break' while making it appropriate for their more serious show. Honestly, while I want to see Castle and Beckett together and happy, I would also prefer for them to get together, break-up, and get back together then for them to extend the lack of relationship too much longer.

I recently saw this on Castle Confessions, and it sums up my feelings:

Castle airs on Monday nights at 10/9C on ABC. Bones airs on Thursday nights at 9/8C on FOX.

No comments:

Post a Comment