Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reviewing the Grey's Anatomy Muscial Episode & Looking Forward to a Grey's Anatomy Wedding

Was the Grey's Anatomy Musical Episode Bad?
(warning: spoilers!)
Unfortunately, I have to say "yes". Normally I watch "Grey's" sitting on the edge of my seat. Sure, I know that a lot of the drama is completely unrealistic and melodramatic, but I still find myself wanting to know what is going to happen next. Are they really going to take it so far that Meredith Grey is alone in an operating room with her hand on a bomb? Oh, they are? Well, then...
It's things like that which I have come to expect from "Grey's". And I didn't get any of that last night.

The drama surrounding Callie being hit (almost literally) by a truck and going into pre-term labor could have been shocking. I could have been sitting on the edge of my seat. But I wasn't, because every two minutes someone was singing. Singing next to Callie as she lay bleeding halfway through a windscreen, singing as they were in the operating room, singing and 'dancing' about sex (?) while life-threatening decisions were being made. Honestly people, do you want to distract me from the drama? How am I supposed to get sucked into such a melodramatic/improbable moment if you are making it even harder to believe? And, lets be honest, your singing isn't that great either. I wasn't even very impressed with Sara Ramirez (Callie) and she is a brilliant singer!

Shonda Rhimes, the show's creator, suggested that she'd like to do another musical episode. No thank you! I know that you drew a huge audience to this episode (13 million viewers!) but if last night's episode was anything to go by, those viewers won't be coming back.

Now, on to more important things. Is a "Grey's" wedding in our future?



Will Callie and Arizona really get married? I think we could use a wedding. Everyone knows you need at least one a season, and who else could possibly follow Cristina and Owen? I wonder how "Grey's" would handle a lesbian wedding, since gay marriage is illegal in Seattle (where the show takes place). The show has barely touched on political issues (probably for fear of alienating viewers). Sure, Callie's dad was not excited about Arizona, but other than that everyone has been fine with it. Is it really possible that none of the doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital are republicans or religious conservatives? I know Seattle is liberal, but none?? I'm not suggesting that "Grey's" should become a political battlefield (in fact, if it did I would probably stop watching the show out of pure frustration), but I am curious to see how they would deal with a lesbian wedding. For that reason alone I'm hoping the Callie and Arizona will really get married.





No comments:

Post a Comment